Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China bans consumption and trade in wild animals
It is about time! The  wild animal trade threatens the survival of a number of endangered species. The consumption of those wild animals threatens the survival of the rest of us.  It is a dangerous trade and it exploits vulnerable animals in fragile environments.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/china-ba...-1.4824540

Of course things were banned after the SARS crisis. Then the fear faded and the trade started up again. 
This time they need to ban the wild animal trade and they need to enforce the ban. This time they need to mean it. 
On so many levels we need this ban to take place. 

I think this time the world needs to watch and make sure the ban is upheld.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is very good news. Yes I hope it is properly monitored and upheld.

I can't help thinking the coronavirus outbreak has something to do with this ban.

It seems  -sadly -that it's only when pressured by something that affects humans (such as a viral outbreak, or pressure from  other countries) will some countries listen, and ban practices which endanger animals.
Sadly the corona virus is the whole reason for the ban. It is not being done to protect wildlife. The wildlife trade is endangering humans and costing the economy so it is time to ban the wildlife trade. It would be great if this was an enlightened decision aimed at protecting endangered species and their environments. It is not. The result is still a ban on the wildlife trade. I am okay with that. 
If it protects endangered wildlife, I don't care why they  do it. If even one pangolin is left in peace then it is worth it. If they can stop the whole pangolin killing I will be very happy.
Catherine

(02-27-2020, 04:10 PM)Catherine Wrote: The result is still a ban on the wildlife trade. I am okay with that. 
If it protects endangered wildlife, I don't care why they  do it. If even one pangolin is left in peace then it is worth it. If they can stop the whole pangolin killing I will be very happy.

So true. Whatever is the cause, the result is positive for wildlife. (who were never for one second considered before people started to fear for themselves!)
This  will definitely help wildlife  but only as long as long ban ends.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6603237/china...e-markets/

I think this time the whole global community needs to push for the ban.
Catherine