Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First ever animal that can survive without oxygen
Quote:A jellyfish-like parasite is the first ever animal discovered that lives without oxygen  and it could shed light on how alien life could exist on other planets. Researchers at Tel Aviv University in Israel say the jellyfish-like parasite spends its life clinging to the inside of North Pacific salmon in a low to zero-oxygen environment.

The organism doesn't have a mitochondrial genome - that is the system that breaks down oxygen that multicellular organisms use to power their cells and breathe. Henneguya salminicola isn't new, it is a common salmon parasite and part of the same family as corals and jellyfish - but its genome has only just been mapped.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...-live.html
I noticed the headline in my news alert, but I hadn't read it yet. I am interested to read about it and find out that the creature is related to the jellyfish. We always think we know and understand most forms of life and then we find something completely different.
The question now is whether there are other creatures like it. How many life forms have evolved to survive "abnormal" conditions.
We still have so much to learn about our Planet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's fascinating, Sameer. I always thought that the assumption of scientists that CHON (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen) were all essential for life to exist was simplistic. Now we have proof that life can exist without oxygen.

So life on other worlds could well be possible, without the need for all four elements to all be present.
Quote: So life on other worlds could well be possible, without the need for all four elements to all be present.
Life elsewhere could exist with out any of the four elements. Who knows what is possible.
At one point they assumed the earth was flat. We need to stop assuming and be more to possibilities.
Who knows what life might exist at the very deepest part of the ocean. It would have to be very different from any life that we know now.

The possibilities are endless.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine