Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweetie
You must have mixed feelings about Sweetie getting old. It is sad to see her age, but she is probably a lot easier to deal with.
Hamsters have such short lives. They taught me to enjoy life's good moments because life can be short and you might miss out if you don't do things right away.

I hope as a senior Sweetie has a happy and gentle time. She has done enough adventuring for one lifetime. Is she getting white hair? She would look cute with white hair. We love Sweetie and wish her many happy months of life.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-26-2014, 02:20 PM)Catherine Wrote: You must have mixed feelings about Sweetie getting old. It is sad to see her age, but she is probably a lot easier to deal with.
Hamsters have such short lives. They taught me to enjoy life's good moments because life can be short and you might miss out if you don't do things right away.

I hope as a senior Sweetie has a happy and gentle time. She has done enough adventuring for one lifetime. Is she getting white hair? She would look cute with white hair. We love Sweetie and wish her many happy months of life.Heart

Yes I do have mixed feelings about her getting old. Even though I knew it would happen, just not quite prepared for it, you know? I guess I thought that Sweetie would stay the little minx she's always been. She appears to be really slow now and I'm wondering whether she has arthritis. No, she hasn't got white hair but it seems to have thinned out quite a lot giving her the old haggard look.

Captain, on the other hand, has always looked scruffy and haggard, he still looks the same and he still dangles from the top bars most nights. He tends to get about easier than Sweetie at the moment.
Quote:Yes I do have mixed feelings about her getting old. Even though I knew it would happen, just not quite prepared for it, you know? I guess I thought that Sweetie would stay the little minx she's always been. She appears to be really slow now and I'm wondering whether she has arthritis. No, she hasn't got white hair but it seems to have thinned out quite a lot giving her the old haggard look.

Captain, on the other hand, has always looked scruffy and haggard, he still looks the same and he still dangles from the top bars most nights. He tends to get about easier than Sweetie at the moment.

This is the sad thing about pet hamsters. They are sweet and wonderful and charming and sometimes real characters, but they have such short lives. You can really see how she went from young Sweetie the Destroyer to Senior Sweetie. She might be a bit arthritic. Certainly her sight and hearing are not as good. Her fur is thinning because of her age. It is so sad. We expect our pets to age, but hamsters do it so quickly.

I think that is why hamsters live so intensely. Sweetie lived the way she did because in some way she knew she had to do it all as fast as possible. Keep an eye on her teeth. Hamster teeth can get brittle as they age and then they can break. If they do that you have to trim the remaining ones so they do not over grow and prevent her from eating. I hope she has some happy senior hamster time. They are cute when they are old.Heart
Catherine

(04-30-2014, 02:29 PM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:Yes I do have mixed feelings about her getting old. Even though I knew it would happen, just not quite prepared for it, you know? I guess I thought that Sweetie would stay the little minx she's always been. She appears to be really slow now and I'm wondering whether she has arthritis. No, she hasn't got white hair but it seems to have thinned out quite a lot giving her the old haggard look.

This is the sad thing about pet hamsters. They are sweet and wonderful and charming and sometimes real characters, but they have such short lives. You can really see how she went from young Sweetie the Destroyer to Senior Sweetie. She might be a bit arthritic. Certainly her sight and hearing are not as good. Her fur is thinning because of her age. It is so sad. We expect our pets to age, but hamsters do it so quickly.

I think that is why hamsters live so intensely. Sweetie lived the way she did because in some way she knew she had to do it all as fast as possible. Keep an eye on her teeth. Hamster teeth can get brittle as they age and then they can break. If they do that you have to trim the remaining ones so they do not over grow and prevent her from eating. I hope she has some happy senior hamster time. They are cute when they are old.Heart

I think she's gone blind as well. It looks like her eyes are permanently closed and when I picked her up to have a closer look, she barred her teeth at me. Woah! It seems to take her ages to walk anywhere in her cage and a lot of times she tends to fall over. I really feel sorry for her because she had been such an energetic little girl.
Poor Sweetie. It seems just yesterday that she was escaping from every cage you could get for her.

She could be blind, but hamster sight is very poor anyhow so she will manage okay. You just have to speak and let her smell you before you touch her. It might help her to walk if you keep her bedding level low. Hamsters have such short legs, walking through bedding is tiring for them.
You could pre-shed some paper for her so she can have the fun of shredded paper with out all the work.Smiley4

Is she able to eat okay?
Catherine

(05-01-2014, 01:44 PM)Catherine Wrote: Poor Sweetie. It seems just yesterday that she was escaping from every cage you could get for her.

She could be blind, but hamster sight is very poor anyhow so she will manage okay. You just have to speak and let her smell you before you touch her. It might help her to walk if you keep her bedding level low. Hamsters have such short legs, walking through bedding is tiring for them.
You could pre-shed some paper for her so she can have the fun of shredded paper with out all the work.Smiley4

Is she able to eat okay?

I have just cleaned out her cage and moved her food from off the shelf part so now she can walk to it easier. I've also put a couple of willow sticks in which she appears to be enjoying and it will do her good. I have put some shredded paper in as well so she has somewhere to snuggle in.
It sounds like sweetie has finally settled down and become a contented hamster. You can spoil her with all the comforts of home and she can finally rest and enjoy them. Perhaps she still dreams of being the wild thing that she was in her younger days.
Catherine

(05-02-2014, 01:43 PM)Catherine Wrote: It sounds like sweetie has finally settled down and become a contented hamster. You can spoil her with all the comforts of home and she can finally rest and enjoy them. Perhaps she still dreams of being the wild thing that she was in her younger days.

This morning when she came out for food, her eyes looked back to normal, they were open which they hadn't been previously. She seemed to be hobbling around a bit better than before as well. She certainly isn't ready to throw the towel in just yet Smiley4
I am glad that Sweetie is rallying. I suppose it helps that it is finally Spring. Hamsters are more active in the warmer weather.
No doubt Sweetie will have some good days ahead. Who knows she might surprize you and get up to her old tricks.

You might see the old Sweetie the Destroyer again.Heart
Catherine