Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremy the left handed snail finds a left handed mate
A left handed snail is one that coils its shell to the left instead of to the right. It is a rare occurrence and the scientist studying Jeremy wanted to find another left handed snail so it could be determined if the trait was hereditary or not. A left handed mate was found and Jeremy is no longer a lonely snail.
A left handed and right handed snail are unable to breed. Jeremy did have offspring with a left handed mate as did other left handed pairs. They produced right handed offspring. The left handed development is not genetic. It is a factor of the actual development of the baby.

https://theconversation.com/how-jeremy-t...ght-139883

As a left hander I am interested to read anything about fellow left handers. It is an odd phenomena. In humans one in ten people are left handed. I am the child of two left handers and yet I am the only left handed child in the family.  The real question has to be why is there left handedness in any species. Why does it happen?
Is there and advantage or disadvantage. Why would a snail coil its shell the other way?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How fascinating! I had no idea about left handed snails, and how they couldn't breed with right-handed ones.

It's great that a mate has been found for Jeremy so he won't be sad and lonely Smiley19 

My Dad was left handed but both his parents were right handed. I grew up right handed but my brother was "ambidextrous" as a child (could use either left or right.) I can write with my left hand but the writing slopes backwards, and looks as if it's written  by another person! Smiley4
Interesting that your father was left handed. He was a creative man and left handers tend to be creative. 
You brother is probably left handed. Most ambidextrous people are. Left handedness was seriously discouraged and sometimes forbidden when we were growing up. I was not allowed to use my left hand in school. I was called rude if I passed something to someone with my left hand. 
You might actually be left handed, but were never given a chance to develop your left handedness.

Now children are allowed to be left handed. I wonder if they will find more than 10% are left handed.

I wonder how many snails are left handed. I think I am going to start watching my garden snails. Wouldn't it be amazing if I found a leftie.

(It looks like I tried to edit your post, but I was actually correcting a spelling mistake in my post and clicked on yours by mistake.)
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine