Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Orangutans safe during a pandemic
The Borne Orangutan Survival Foundation has taken steps to protect the orangutans during the pandemic. Because they share 97% of the same DNA as humans it is thought that they might be vulnerable to the virus. At their primate rehab centers they have established new rules. Non essential staff and visitors are banned. Workers are protected with masks and gloves and monitored carefully. The facilities have been separated into blocks of staff and orangutans. If a block is infected it can be safely isolated.
Other than that, care goes on as usual.

https://www.euronews.com/living/2020/04/...oronavirus

I am relieved that they are taking so much care to ensure the safety of the orangutans. In this terrible time we can relax and know that the orangutans are being protected and cared for.

I have to say it. I wish our Canadian Nursing homes had done as much for their residents. The death toll has been heart breaking. Many places never thought of separating infected from non infected. It got so bad we had to call out the army to take over nursing home care.

Meanwhile a primate rehab center in the Borneo jungle has been able to keep its residents safe.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine