Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three tailed lizard
The writer was on a hike and spotted a three tailed lizard. The picture is amazing. They also show a picture of a skink with two tails.
There is some speculation about how this could happen and how it would effect the lizard's life. 
It has to do with a lizard having the ability to drop part of its tail to escape a predator and then being able to regenerate the tail.
If this happens, but the tail is not fully lost and a new tail grows anyhow the lizard ends up with two tails.

https://www.cnet.com/news/i-saw-a-bizarr...not-alone/

First let me say that not all lizards can regenerate their tails. When they do it is not a full regeneration. It is a "sort of" tail.
Also I had an oscillated skink years ago who had two tails. I called her Joanna Two Tails. She did very well and lived out a full and happy life. The two tails did not effect her ability to do things and the other lizards didn't pay them any attention. She really was cute though.

I suspect there are many animals out there with what we think of as oddities. They don't think of them as oddities and they live out their lives just fine.
Our perception is that a creature that is different or somehow imperfect must somehow be deficient. Nature doesn't seem to see it that way. A great many different looking animals manage to live their lives just fine.

I would love to see a three tailed lizard!
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine