Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Sharing? Could it work?
I came across an interesting article by a woman who wants to share a dog with another household. Literally, the dog would have two homes. It would be shared by both those homes. Some time would be with one family and then the rest of the time with the other family. She makes a good case and she finds examples of people who have done it.
It would split the costs and the dog probably would get more attention since people only see it half the time.
She does consult experts and they are not against it. 

https://www.thecut.com/article/can-i-int...share.html

I can see some ways in which this would work. If an older person wanted a dog and shared it with a younger family the dog could still get the exercise it needs with the younger more energetic family. Also the fear of outliving a pet would be resolved. If the older person dies, the pet would continue  with the younger family.

Two younger families seem like an odd idea for a dog share. Or do they. Young families are often very busy. They might find it hard to look after a dog. If they only had the dog some of the time they would be able to look after the dog properly. If they have to be away there is no problem finding someone to care for the dog. He just stays with his other family while they are away. 
I don't think every dog could handle this, but I am sure there are special dogs that would thrive on this kind of a life.

Does this seem like a good idea?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I think it would depend on the personality of the dog. Forgy waited years to be found by us - and now he follows me everywhere in the house, haha! He gets very stressed if we have to leave him even for a couple of hours to go shopping (we normally take him with us in the car, but in the heat of summer it is too risky). He would not be happy being shared with another home.

However, some dogs are very outgoing and love being with any human. With those sort of dogs, a scheme like this could work very well. I have nothing against it, as long as it suits the dog concerned.
You are right, a lot of dogs would not handle a life like this.  I think some would love to be shared. Having two families would really make them happy.

I like the idea of an older person on their own sharing a dog with a younger family. The dog could stay with the older person during the day while the younger family goes to school or work. At night the dog could join the younger family and  enjoy a livelier time there. People who are very old hesitate to have a pet. They are afraid they will die and leave the pet with no one to care for them. The younger family would commit to taking the pet full time  if the older person dies.
It could work. Most 90 year olds would not risk taking on a dog, but if they have had pets all their lives they probably miss having a pet. It is something people should think about.

Some dogs are so outgoing they would probably be fine with 3 or 4 families. Some cats already visit a number of families and eat with each one. They have already invented their own version of pet share. Of course being cats they decide who they visit and when.
Catherine

Dogs are like people they have their different personalities,some dogs like visiting and other people and some don't,you'd have to have a suitable dog for this to work,it's a good idea in theory,my local boarding kennel has doggy daycare I've seen the videos the dogs have a ball with each other,you could also ask around just for someone to babysit your dog or just take it for a walk I can't have a dog but I still love them and I'd so take one for a walk.
I can't really have a dog either. I am gone to long on the days I work. I would love to borrow a dog now and then.
I am sure they could set up a dog share with the right dogs and let people borrow a dog for a day. 
To actually share ownership and responsibility would be a different thing. It could work with the right dog.
Two families with different schedules could make it work. It is an interesting idea.
Catherine

I think it might work in  some circumstances, depending on the people and of course, that the dog is totally happy in both households. But I can see pitfalls too, as human nature more than anything, is taken into account, and that can be unpredictable sometimes.

What if something happened while the dog was in the care of one of those two households? It doubles the sense of responsibility, but also the potential for awful guilt and blame magnified, if something accidental happened.

It would certainly work if one family have to be out daily for 10 hours at work or school etc, and they knew a lonely or maybe elderly person who would love to have the company for those hours of the day.(a daily visit from a good friend in fact.) but who wasn't capable of 24 hour care for a dog.

There are pros and cons, I think.

(.....And the dog was thinking...."er....I was looking forward to my 10 hour nap, interspersed with annoying the cat, and raiding the bin".) Smiley4
It would work if it was a dog that wanted to be with people all the time. Some dogs just need so much attention. Two families with different schedules could meet that dog's needs.

Having the dog spend the day with a senior is even better. Some older frail people miss having a dog, but they are not able to care for a dog  any more.
A few hours a day are probably all the person could manage. Some dogs go to doggie daycare. Instead they could make another person happy by spending the day with them.

They should combine doggie daycares with senior's residences. Think how the presence of dogs would brighten people's lives.
If there were dogs playing outside some people might be willing to go outside to see them. It would get them walking and interacting with others. The dogs would love it too. 

Unless of course we are talking about a dog that would rather nap all day.
Catherine