Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
France to ban travelling animal shows
The ban will gradually come into effect. It will include travelling animal shows like circuses and things like Dolphin and Orca shows. This also includes a move towards banning mink farming. These actions recognize that animals are not ours to use, but rather creatures to be respected.
The banns will be brought in over a period of years. Eventually these shows and uses of animals will be no more in France.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/france-ban-...s-dolphin/

This is good news. Even if it takes time, it is still a move in the right direction. I just wonder why it has to take so long. Of course whole industries have to change and provisions have to be made for the animals to be looked after. After all that is done, I hope it doesn't take too long. How would it feel to be the last mink slaughtered. Couldn't they have stopped sooner.  
The dolphins and whales need to end up in sanctuaries if they cannot be released to the wild. I doubt any of them can be released. I know it takes time to arrange these things, but it is sad to think of intelligent sea mammals suffering in captivity a minute longer than necessary. 

I hope we soon hear that some of these banns have actually happened.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

As Macron said recently, public opinion has moved on. Such things are no longer acceptable.

You are right, it is a great pity that animals will have to suffer during the phasing-out period. However, often to get legislation through, compromises have to be made. But at least the light is at the end of tunnel...
Quote:You are right, it is a great pity that animals will have to suffer during the phasing-out period. However, often to get legislation through, compromises have to be made. But at least the light is at the end of tunnel...
It is definitely progress and the banns will happen. It just seems sad to think of the mink that will suffer right up to the last day. Some animals in circuses will die before they are freed from their miserable lives. I hope they at least stop forcing dolphins to perform.

Macron is right, public opinion has moved on. In the end I think the bans will become global, but it will take time. Our actions have to catch up to our opinions.
Catherine

On another animal forum, a Canadian member said that use of animals in circuses in his country was still legal and happening. Can you confirm this, please?
This is what I have been able to find.

https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases...-lawsuits/

This article is 2 years old and it seems to be the most recent on the issue.

Quote:“The Royal Canadian Family Circus’ decision to stop dragging elephants and tigers across the border and cruelly forcing them to perform meaningless tricks means that there are now no circuses featuring wild animals in Canada,” says PETA Foundation Vice President and Deputy General Counsel Delcianna Winders. “This is a major step in the right direction, given the suffering of wild animals in archaic acts like those formerly featured in this circus.”

The important thing is that there are no animal acts in circuses in Canada.  

We do not have a countrywide ban on animal acts in circuses. However individual municipalities have enacted banns. 

This might be one of those things that has to be banned at the local level. It is a jurisdiction issue.  In  Canada issues are handled at different levels of government. So there is no federal ban. There are no provincial bans. What I can find is that there are 28 municipal bans and there might be even more. That might not seem like much until you look at Canada and think about it.  There would be no need to ban anything in the arctic, because no circus would even go there.  We have ten provinces, but there are not a lot of major cities in some provinces. They would not bother to ban animal acts in many small cities because no circus visits those cities anyhow.
In effect we have no animals in Canadian circuses.

We do still have rodeos and that is another area where we need to make changes.
Catherine