Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overwhelmed wildlife shelters ask people to leave wildlife alone.
It is a problem every year that people rescue wildlife that doesn't need rescuing. They grab  baby animals that are just staying where their mothers put them. 
What they are doing is actually kidnapping. By doing it they endanger the life of the animal and they over burden the wildlife centres that have to care for them.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7081211/wildl...salthaven/

I have noticed articles about a number of different wildlife centres being especially burdened this year. They think because of Covid 19 more people are home and are noticing the wildlife around them. They just assume that everything needs rescuing. I talked to a young man who claimed he had rescued a baby milk snake. 
They are native to this area and it was normal for the snake to be out where he was. Left on his own he would have lived out a normal life.  By taking him in the helpful person has basically set it up so he will die. It is unlikely that he will survive. I told him to release the snake where he found it. I told him it was not a rescue, it was a kidnapping. I don't think he liked that and I doubt he released the snake. I can only hope when it dies, he doesn't do it again.

From what I have been reading a lot of wildlife rescues feel the same way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine