Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally an Anti Declawing Law for Ontario
Yes it is true,  declawing is still legal in Ontario. I think most vets won't do it, but they legally can. A local MPP, Merit Stiles has put forward a bill that would make declawing illegal (unless it was a matter of medical necessity). It has support and it looks like it will pass.

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/o...ts-3176358

Finally and at last!  Work has been done to educate people, but as long as it is legal people will want to do it. They could buy a scratching post and cut their cat's claws, but declawing requires no effort or responsibility on the part of the owner. Declawing needs to be illegal. The shameful thing is that it has taken this long.

Quote:In Canadadeclawing is only illegal in two provinces: Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. However, it has been banned by several provincial veterinarian associations across the country, including groups in Manitoba, New Brunswick, British Columbia and Alberta.Jun 5, 2019

Since there are ten provinces and three territories Canada is not doing well.
The only thing stopping declawing right now is bans by the veterinary associations.
That means our veterinarians have stepped up where our government has failed. 
I will be glad when the Ontario bill passes, but what about the rest of the country.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hope the law passes. That will put Canada in line with most civilised countries. The USA, however, remains the country where the barbaric practice of declawing remains not only legal, but also widely practised - although there are a few states/areas where it has been banned. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy

P.S. Catherine, if the law passes, someone should write to Wikipedia and ask them to update the page where it mentions Canada. But the law needs to pass first!
Quote:P.S. Catherine, if the law passes, someone should write to Wikipedia and ask them to update the page where it mentions Canada. But the law needs to pass first!
Good point. When we hear that the law has passed I will be happy to check in with Wikipedia.

I can't believe how many people still think declawing is nothing. They see it as little more than cutting claws. There has been an ad on the radio lately. I assume it is part of the campaign to pass the law. They make it clear that declawing is removing the first digit of the paw. Maybe they should show pictures. It is a nasty procedure.

There is still a lot of work to do in the USA. We can hope that the new government will be open to animal rights and a rejection of animal cruelty.
Catherine

Regarding the USA, it is to be hoped that the new administration will take up this issue - although I fear that it will be left untouched for a long time, owing to so many other pressing issues needing attention. It is also - sadly - the case that many vets in the USA don't want declawing banned, as they make "big bucks" doing the operations.
Quote:Regarding the USA, it is to be hoped that the new administration will take up this issue - although I fear that it will be left untouched for a long time, owing to so many other pressing issues needing attention. It is also - sadly - the case that many vets in the USA don't want declawing banned, as they make "big bucks" doing the operations.
You make a good point about the vets. In Canada we don't have proper laws against declawing, but the veterinary associations have banned it.
It is going to be a hard fight in the USA if the vets are not against declawing.

Right now, no matter how good the intentions of the new government are, they have to deal with the pandemic emergency first. I think they will move soon to rejoin the World Health Organization and the Paris Climate Accord. Other issues  are going to take more time. At least we can hope for change in the future.
Catherine