Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tell Hermés to stop building crocodile farm that plans to harvest skins
French Fashion designer Hermés plans to build a crocodile farm in Australia. They will steal eggs from 4,000 wild crocodiles and raise them in captivity to be used as skins for handbags and shoes. This farm will end up with 50,000 crocodiles, all living in terrible conditions. When they are ready to take the skins it will be even worse. Reptiles are not killed humanely. In fact they are not always killed before being skinned. Sometimes they just skin them alive.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan...mal-skins/

Please sign the petition and please do not buy Hermés products. Do not buy products from any company that uses animals like this.
No animal should suffer so someone can have a new handbag. There are vegan alternatives.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Signed. We had discussions about cruel crocodile farms in the past, I think. I have read before about how they are difficult to kill and are still sometimes alive whilst being skinned. Appalling.

There is an additional aspect to this. Stealing eggs from wild crocodiles can alter delicate ecosystem balances between species. Plus - these crocodiles have to be fed before being killed. So countless animals will have to be killed to feed the crocodiles. Then, in turn, the crocodiles will be killed - just in order to make high-end fashion handbags and shoes!

It is possible to complain on the Twitter and Facebook pages of Hermes. That is sometimes more effective than a petition.
Quote:It is possible to complain on the Twitter and Facebook pages of Hermes. That is sometimes more effective than a petition.
Good point. We could complain directly on their pages. If enough people do it they will have to listen.

I did some looking and they also use ostrich, even baby ostrich. They use goats and water buffalo and very young calves.
They use alligators and crocodiles. They also advertise Varanus Lizard bags and that would be some species of monitor lizard.

None of these animals are raised humanely and as you pointed out many animals are killed in order to keep them fed. 
Reptiles in particular are not killed humanely, not that butchering animals is ever humane. 
I get the feeling that there is no species they would not try to make a purse from if they could. 
Their whole reason for existing seems to be killing and skinning animals to make fashion statement bags.

Where is the fashion in wearing a dead animal?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine