Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Badger culls to be banned after 2022.
The UK has been culling badgers for years to stop Bovine TB.  Since 2013 over 100,000 badgers have been killed. It is not clear that this has in any way stopped the spread of Bovine TB.  In the future the focus will be on vaccinating against TB.  
Of course existing permits have to run the four years they are issued for. Permits issued in 2022  will carry on past 2022.
So badger culling has been banned, but the culls can go on until 2025.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...s-minister

The vaccine programs have started and can be expanded. The intention is to stop the mass culling of Badgers anyhow. Why wait until 2022. 
If you plan to end something and ending it is a good thing, what not do it now? Why continue to kill badgers when you know it isn't really helping and you plan to stop solon anyhow.
At least the end of the cull is in sight.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree totally, Catherine. But at least we can be glad that the end is in sight. We have had several threads in the past, where we discussed about how useless badger culling was. It seems that, at last, common sense has prevailed.

I won't discuss UK politics on an animal forum too much, except to say that I am totally opposed to the policies of Johnson, the British PM, and those of his former advisor, the appalling Cummings (the one who publicly broke lock-down rules). However, I do have a soft spot for his "partner", who is a great animal lover. She is said to have considerable influence behind the scenes. I suspect that she may have convinced Johnson to push for this change in the badger policy. You can read about her in this article, which is a little out of date but still accurate regarding her love of animals:

https://www.timesnownews.com/internation...nds/575141
Carrie Symonds does  sound like she would be a positive influence on her partner. I hope she is able to keep up the influence for the well being of animals.
She could well be behind any number of animal friendly policies. Choosing to end the badger cull is definitely a good thing. Of course actually ending it would be even better.

The decision to cull badgers was probably more political than scientific in the first place. The cull made it look like something was being done to help with the bovine TB problem. It was a publicly visible action. The government could say they were doing something. It wasn't the right thing to do, but it would have brought in votes.  The decision to end the cull is based on evidence and study of the situation.  I hope the animal friendly influence continues.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine