Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seaspiracy? I would of named it Conspirasea...
The Netflix Documentary Seaspiracy.
I’m not going to be able to stay awake to finish Seaspiracy tonight but I’m off tomorrow so I will get to finish it within the next 24 hours.  I wanted to start this as a place to discuss if anyone else has seen it, plans to, or to encourage anyone else to watch it so we can discuss.  So far I’m 45mins in and it’s nothing I didn’t already know was happening.  I’m mildly impressed with myself for keeping up with this but I do watch a lot of documentaries and listen to educational podcasts and educational YouTube!

I’ll leave this as my stopping point at 46 minutes in: What is sustainable fishing? I can tell you now it’s not commercial fishing.

**Discussion Idea! Anyone who wants to participate in the discussion! Please ask at least 2 different questions and answer from 2 different people!  Feels just like online discussion classes lol!
I am about to watch Seaspiracy. It is too late to even start it tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can watch at least the first 46 minutes.

Definitely commercial fishing the way we do it is not sustainable. I don't think fish farming as we do it is sustainable either.

I will definitely watch  some(all)  of it tomorrow. I have heard it is an powerful documentary.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

My two questions.
1. Did you know about fish nets being the biggest threat to sea life? Explain.

2. If you do eat commercial fish now, after watching will you stop? Why or why not?
I have watched over 50 minutes. I need a break and I may need to watch this again.  It is a heavy subject. It is a complicated subject.

I knew about the damage the fishing industry is doing to the oceans. There is an older documentary  from 2009 called The End Of The Line.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1176727/

There is a book as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of...ine_(book)

I think it is possible to find the older movie. It is very good.  It is twelve years old and many things have changed. Climate change is a more serious issue. The plastics in the oceans are a much worse problem. Commercial fishing is even more destructive. Our understanding of how these things are connected is more advanced.

Seaspiracy connects the issues to each other. The movie is making financial connections as well. I haven't finished the movie so I don't want to draw too many conclusions. One thing is clear, commercial fishing is killing the fish, killing the oceans and ultimately killing the planet. That is what I have gotten from it so far.

I don't know what to say about eating fish. I don't know what to say about eating anything. Anything that is industrially produced is harming our planet.
I am going to have to finish the movie and do some serious thinking.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine