Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bee Hotel
A major Toronto Hotel already keeps hives of bees. Now they have set up accommodations for our local wild bees.
We plant the flowers for the bees, now they have a place to stay in the city.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/to...-1.2664039

A big city can be ecologically friendly. We can make space for the natural world to exist. We also set up places for the falcons and hawks to nest.

It seems that there are lots of ways to make your own bee hotel.
http://education.nationalgeographic.com/...el/?ar_a=1
I will have to think about this. I might have just the spot for one of the plastic pipe models.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh this is great! Wild bees here are okay. They usually build hives in trees. There is one not far from where I live. But in urban areas, bees would definitely benefit from a little human consideration and help!

Bees do very well in cities, so I have heard, and are often much healthier than in the country. In cities, there is greater variation of flowers for their forage! And that is thanks to humans, and their gardens! Even tiny rooftop gardens supply great forage for bees.
I have seen bees on a ninth floor balcony, checking out the window boxes. They like city life. There are a number of actual hives in the city on roof tops. I think the wild bees would do well with a little help.

I am thinking that some kind of nesting tube could be hung on the outside of my fence behind the elderberries. The bees would be protected and un-noticed and food would be near by.

The bee situation here is very bad, the butterfly situation is worse.
Too many pesticides!Angry
Catherine

Oh yes, the bees will love those window boxes. And pots with flowers in, on balconies....all that helps them along.

It sounds interesting, to build a 'bee hotel' What a good idea.
I am looking around for the right materials for a bee hotel. I can hang it on the outside of the fence. It will be hidden and yet bee accessible.
I didn't know that bees could be helped this way.

I am amazed that bees and butterflies can find flower boxes on high rise balconies. I planted the flowers for a senior on the 9th floor and the bees were there very quickly.

Bees always know when my mint patch is in bloom. I wonder if their honey is mint scented?
We do have a ban on pesticides in the Province. I doubt it is all pesticides under all circumstances, but it prevents the cosmetic use of pesticides on lawns.
I have never used chemicals in my garden so I do get bees, birds and butterflies. Most of my neighbourhood is good for bees. We have all planted bee friendly plants and do not use chemicals. The front lawns have mostly been removed and turned into flower gardens for bees and butterflies. I will go out and get pictures so I can show you. It makes each street seem like one continuous flower bed.Smile
Catherine