Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruelty charges against dairy
This is disturbing. The workers at this dairy farm have been seriously abusing the cows. I just hope the BC SPCA can actually bring charges and make them stick.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1383736/employ...airy-farm/

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Chilliw...story.html
One does wonder that the owners are so absent that the workers can get away with treating the animals this way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is a terrible case, and one which which only came to light after an undercover video. The vets for the company said that they visited regularly, but presumably only when they were called, rather than visiting unannounced. The best solution to stop cases like these is to legislate for animal welfare inspections without notice. Currently notice is needed, or evidence of cruelty, for an instant inspection to take place - not just in Canada but in most countries.

What disturbs me even more is the USA. There, the farming industry has succeeded in quite few states in making undercover videos illegal. This was after a string of similar cruelty cases. Now anyone "blowing the whistle" with an undercover video risks prison, instead of the medal s/he deserves.
Abuse is routine in the Dairy Industry. 'You' are taking a baby from its mother, drinking the milk intended for the baby and eating the baby (veal).
Not to mention artificially impregnating the mother far beyond the natural cycle to get more milk out of her.
And when she's broken and spent, she'll be packed off to the slaughterhouse too....

Numerous healthy, nutritious plant milks are available - soya, almond, oat, rice, coconut, hazelnut, hemp ...
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
They talk about a farm meeting industry standards, but as you point out, the standard is inherently cruel.

I noticed that they are changing laws in some places so they can get the whistle blowers. That is one way of solving a problem, make it illegal to report it.Smiley13

I suspect that many of the dedicated whistle blowers will proudly go to jail for the sake of the truth.

I also suspect that the law makers have a financial interest in the farming industry.
Catherine

(06-12-2014, 03:55 PM)Catherine Wrote: I suspect that many of the dedicated whistle blowers will proudly go to jail for the sake of the truth.

Let's hope so. Bless them for protecting animals!

(06-12-2014, 03:55 PM)Catherine Wrote: I also suspect that the law makers have a financial interest in the farming industry.

They get big bucks (taxes!) from some giant farms and agricultural companies. Some lawmakers actually own giant farms and have big vested interests.
Quote: They get big bucks (taxes!) from some giant farms and agricultural companies. Some lawmakers actually own giant farms and have big vested interests.

This is the real problem. Change is not profitable. This is the flaw in the democratic system. Lawmakers are often in financial relationships with special interest groups. They base their decisions on what brings in money and not on what is the right thing to do.

Good thing their are dedicated protesters who will be heard at any cost.
Catherine

This dreadful abuse is so very sad and awful to read about. I was overcome with deep compassion for those cows. I hope they are out of it all now and healed from their trauma in the spirit world.
(06-11-2014, 07:54 PM)LPC Wrote: What disturbs me even more is the USA. There, the farming industry has succeeded in quite few states in making undercover videos illegal. This was after a string of similar cruelty cases. Now anyone "blowing the whistle" with an undercover video risks prison, instead of the medal s/he deserves.

This is diabolical! It is giving free-rein to abuse of animals and horrendous practices!
Quote:This is diabolical! It is giving free-rein to abuse of animals and horrendous practices!

It is legally protecting the abuser by making it against the law to expose them. Can you believe there are people who would choose to support such legislation. These people have a lot to answer for.Angry
Catherine