Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Marmots are coming back!
In 2003 there were 27 Marmots. Now thanks to the work of Toronto Zoo and Calgary Zoo
there are 200 Marmots. Work has been done to captive breed them to increase their numbers. They are then released at suitable sites.
A colony of Marmots has just been discovered that has dispersed from on of the released colonies. This is a sign that the species is expanding its territory on its own. This is a real indication that the species is recovering.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c...-1.6143331

This is very happy news. We nearly lost the Marmots. All that clear cut logging on Vancouver Island destroyed their habitat. They are not totally recovered yet, but finding a colony of mixed age individuals means they could recover. All the work that has been done to help them recover is actually working.
This is news that makes me very happy. I have been to Vancouver Island and seen their habitats and seen their habitat destruction. I am happy that things are healing. The land could be what it once was, vital and alive and home to  many species, like the Marmots.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine