Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California to phase out dog blood harvesting facilities
California allows dogs to be farmed for their blood. They are kept in small cages for years and their blood is regularly taken and sold to veterinarians.
For the dogs at those farms it is a horrible life.
The alternative is a dog Blood Bank. People will bring their dogs in to voluntarily give blood. That blood will be available to veterinarians who need it.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan...aged-dogs/

The voluntary Dog Blood Bank is a more compassionate approach. Having life saving blood on hand is a good thing. It does save the life of dogs in need. 
It is better the blood be given freely by willing donors. There are lots of dogs that would find it easy to give blood. They really don't mind. An unhappy, caged, forced donor is not a good thing. I am sure the blood is full of a lot of stress chemicals. 

It also undermines the idea of blood donation as giving the gift of life, when the donor is caged and forced to donate and then donate again,
 and again, and again.....
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

An appalling practice, which I had not heard of previously. I'm glad that it is being phased out.
I have seen articles about this before. I think it may have been posted a few years ago. Retired greyhounds are sent to farms where their blood is harvested, over and over, for years. It is a horrible life for them. They are perpetually weak from blood loss.  For some reason California would only allow farmed blood, even though there are people with healthy dogs willing to donate. Now that will change for California. Sadly there are still blood bank farms in other states.

This is from 2017 and I understand that the farm was shut down.

https://investigations.peta.org/greyhoun...for-blood/

I can't find more recent articles, but I suspect there are other blood donor farms. If they can sell the blood they can make money. 
It always comes down to making money. Even if the dogs are horribly exploited, if they are a source of income  they will be used.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine