Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first Dormouse bridge
In Lancashire, a Dormouse bridge is being build across the rail line. It's purpose is to connect two populations of Dormice so they can breed and improve genetic diversity.  The tree dwelling hazel dormouse has been declining since the 1950s. The population numbers are way down. The species has already disappeared from some areas. Loss of habitat is a factor. Loss of connections between habitats is another factor contributing to their decline. Putting a connecting link between two populations could have a positive effect. The project is being funded by Network Rail and is being built by Animex, a group that works to find migration solutions for wildlife.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ed-species

This is such a cute idea. I am picturing a little bridge for tiny dormice. I know it is more of a tube they can use to safely cross the tracks. Still, it makes me think of children's books about tiny animals. They will have a tiny bridge because they  need to visit each other. That is really what wildlife crossing bridges are about. Separated populations need to interbreed for the health of their species. We have fragmented their populations with our highways and railroads. It is up to us to fix the problem. If a little tube across a railway will help then we need to be building these tubes anywhere they can help.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hope that this initiative works well. It deserves to succeed.
If it works it could be the first of many. The more success wildlife bridges have, the more people are willing to build them.
In many places wildlife bridges and tunnels are a great success.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine