Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is there a chimney without a building in Toronto?
Actually there are about 50 of them. They are actually chimneys that stand tall in open spaces. The one in the article is right near where I live and I have wondered what it was for. Now I know. When they tore down the old school building, because it needs to be replaced, they also tore down the old chimney. That chimney was home to Chimney Swifts. Provincial legislation requires an alternate nest sight be built. The best nest sight we can build for a Chimney Swift is a chimney. So that is what they have been building. The chimney doesn't have to be part of a building. The birds don't care. They just want a chimney to nest in.

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toron...t-toronto/

The new school will eventually be build, but the chimney was built first. I think we have finally gotten our priorities right. Our legislation protects a bird that nests in chimneys and we build the chimney before we build our own buildings. So now I know why there is a chimney in a vacant lot and I will feel good every time I see it. I know that we are doing the best we can for little birds that like to nest in Chimneys.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine