Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sanctuary for the pets of those fleeing abuse.
Link Coalition Toronto is a sanctuary for  the pets of those who are fleeing abuse. If a person applies, the pet is brought to a location (a vet clinic) and handed over to a foster family. The pet will be cared for in a home until the person can take their pet back. The pet is brought to the same location and the foster family hands the pet back. They have some amazing reunions.

Now link Coalition is expanding to cover the whole province. It is taking over the Safe Pet Program run be the Veterinary Association. 
Between the two groups they have helped more than 60 pets a year. 
When there is violence in the home it targets the pets too, so this service is vital if the people in the home are going to seek safety. 

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/...nding.html

This is really good idea. Too often pets are caught in dangerous situations. People fear leaving them behind so they hesitate to seek safety.
For someone struggling in a dangerous situation, this could be life saving. It certainly would bring peace of mind. Surrendering a pet would keep it safe, but it is important to know that the pet will be returned. For someone who has been abused, having a loving pet returned is essential. I think it matters to the pet too.
The pet must fear for their person. Being returned will bring the pet peace of mind.

I don't know if other places have sanctuaries like this. I certainly hope they do. If not then someone needs to get something started.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine