Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stress becoming a serious problem for veterinarians
Veterinary medicine has always been a stressful profession. Vets who wanted to work with animals, find themselves caught up in difficult interactions with people. In the last couple of years, the pandemic has added to their stress. It has also added to their workload.
People rushed to get pandemic pets, but there are no extra veterinarians to look after those pets.
People are angry at the cost of veterinary treatments and often can't afford them. Vets have to deal with the anger directed at them. They have to live with the fact that some pets will not get the help they need. Vets get attached to their patients and it is hard on them when they lose them.

Just how stressed vets are, became clear when a Quebec veterinarian committed suicide. 
Something needs to be done to prevent things like this. Vets need support so they don't burn out.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/wo...-1.6582784

Right now, anyone working in any area of health care (human or animal) is feeling burned out.
The pandemic is easing for everyone else, but not for us. There is still a lot of pressure and over work.
I tried to take one afternoon off this summer, and it was not allowed.
I just never thought about how it must be for veterinarians.
They were not allowed to have the owners of a pet in their clinics. The pet in a carrier was handed in the door and the vet dealt with the pet alone and talked with the owner on the phone. I never actually met my rabbit's vet. When my rabbit died, she was pretty upset. I hope she has been okay.

I hope as a profession they can find a way to help each other. There is already a shortage of vets. We can't afford to lose any more.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine