Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guinea pig on the loose for a year.
Kenneth is clearly one clever guinea pig. He has been living free range for a year. His would be rescuers have had no luck catching him.

http://www.bunburymail.com.au/story/2570...ar/?cs=279

It would be funny to see a guinea pig running loose. It is a worry though. He could get hurt. I hope they find him soon.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Kenneth is one lucky Guinea Pig to run wild for a year. I should imagine they are natural prey animals for predatory creatures. Finding the fur might mean he has developed skin problems or has mites or ticks, and not that something worse has happened. But it would be great if they could catch him, as things like that can drag an animal down over time.

They need to set a humane trap loaded with some tasty Guinea Pig treats -something he loves and definitely can't find in the wild.
Oh dear, I hope they can find and catch him soon. It must be really scary for him. As you say, Tobi, they are prey for lots of creatures, birds, snakes, other mammals.
Our Marigold was one of a large rescue of piggies that had been released to the wild. It took a long time for her to trust people and even now, some 4 years on, she still retains the wild instincts that let her survive. She has cataracts in both eyes, which our vet suggests could be due to exposure to a lot of sunlight as the place they were left had no burrows for them and they don't really dig for themselves. They hid under bramble bushes.
I hope they catch Kenneth before it's too late, and that the fur found is just shed hair.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Life in the wild is not so good for our little domesticated friends. They are also not living in their own natural habitat. The things they need to do well are not here.

I had forgotten that Marigold was one of Those rescue guinea pigs. So she is still timid after all this time. My Flora was found in a city park. Someone dumped her. She has done well with me, but she is very timid. She is even scared of new foods. The boys are all excited to try it and she backs into a corner and has to be coaxed out so she can at least sniff it.

She was so scared of The Big Box of hay that she backed away from the hay.

I hope they catch Kenneth soon. He could have a happy life filled with treats, if only he would come in.
Catherine

Marigold is very good. She is of a timid nature and these days has almost completely lost her sight, but if you let her know you are there before you try to touch her then she is Ok. She really enjoys a scratch between the ears and will stand for ages, twisting her head so that you get the right spot. She closes her eyes and luxuriates in it. She has had a few health issues and her coat is a bit sparse just now. She sheds a lot in the summer and removes quite a bit of her coat too, but it is all regrowing nicely now. We estimate that she is between 5 and 6 so is an elderly lady who has had an eventful life. I'm pleased and somewhat surprised at just how settled and happy she is with us, considering what her early life was ie a large, mixed group left to breed indiscriminately, having to fight for food for herself and her babies, and then abandoned into the wild when pregnant again, with a large group, just days before the snows.
Thank God for the Good people who caught as many of them as they could and brought them to the rescue.
And God bless Suzy for taking them all in even though she was full.
It's such a privilege to be involved in the work of helping these delightful, but very dependant creatures.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
That was an incredible rescue. I still think about it. Suzy and her shelter were brave to take on so much at once. I don't know how she did it.

I didn't realize that Marigold was that old, but of course she would have to be. It seems like just yesterday that she was rescued.
I have had old piggies end up almost blind. I notice it when I hold the food in front of them and they can't seem to find it. I have to let them smell it first.
Marigold has had a good life with you. It makes up for all the uncertainty of her early days. Give her a scratch between the ears from me.
Catherine