Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catherine's Garden
Well that Hazel along the stream is a lot bigger and heftier than it looks on the photo. I only have a bow-saw, and the engineering is tricky! Once you are in among the Hazels, there are trees can't be got at, or they wouldn't fall....etc (they would get trapped & tangled up in others which always blocks everything) ....or the bow-saw won't fit. Plus a Hazel close on 10" diameter is one hulking great heavy whopper to shift out of the stream or wherever it decides to go. Mind you - I might have a change of mind one day and attempt to do interesting things with a block-and-tackle....

My philosophy is that few things are impossible. My Dad was an engineer and taught me that. Nothing is ever without a solution. It's just whether you will accept the solution -or not.
My solution is a chain saw, and I am not a dab-hand with one! (OUCH!) ....let's not even GO THERE! HAHA

You know what, Cibach? That sort of untended wild garden is the ideal one for many species of birds and animals. When things get a bit too 'twee' it can push out some creatures who would normally live there or forage there.
Cibach, I love the idea of your wild garden. I look forward to seeing your spring flowers. Wild gardens are so much more nature friendly.

I have so little space I have to plan carefully. I have to keep things trimmed so they do not over grow each other. Beyond that I let things get a little wild.

The Humane Society garden that I am planting is 60 ft long and 6 ft wide. I have put in flowering shrubs and a few boxwood just to give it some permanence. However I want the spaces in between to be flowers that seed and grow or perennials that spread. In other words, a little wild. I was happy to see bees in the garden last time I was there. I will get pictures soon(unless it snowsSmiley4).

You are right, few things are impossible, but a chain saw has too many possibilities. I wouldn't try to control one.
When I cut down the dead Birch tree, I tied the trunk to a couple of things so when it fell, it went where I wanted it to go and not on top of me. Imagine my relief when it actually fell where I wanted it to go.Smiley4
Your Hazels must be full sized trees. Can they be trimmed a little so they work better for your needs?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree. With a smaller garden there isn't much space to have a large area of 'wilderness'. Some wild flowers/grasses etc in a small place might do the trick.

Well, I could thin out the Hazels, by using a branch lopper. It's a long job but would let more light in on the north side. But I look at those trees by the stream -and I just kind of like them.....Yes it's very shady, but it has a special atmosphere -like being in the woods. I guess that atmosphere will always be dear to my heart, and the lawn will suffer for it! haha
If you like the Hazels then keep them. A shade garden is beautiful. Forget the grass and find some shade loving ground cover that you can walk on. Periwinkle and sweet woodruff like shade. Sweet woodruff is a great little plant. It spreads and covers the ground in shady areas.. It has small white flowers in the spring and has a woodsy hay smell.
http://landscaping.about.com/od/herbplan...odruff.htm

My one little plant has spread all over and I have given it to friends. It is a pretty alternative to grass in shady places that won't grow grass.
Catherine

The cedar tree in the corner was small when I planted it. It never seemed to grow at all and I kind of forgot it was there. Then one day I looked at it and it was twice my height. I never noticed it growing.

I want a wild garden, with some order so that things don't over grow each other in the small space. I planted some evergreen trees/shrubs because we have snow so much of the year and I want there to be interesting things to see even in the snow.

I wish I had room for large trees. They are so beautiful. All your yards sound wonderful.
Catherine

Yes but what matters is the atmosphere in a garden, and yours has such a feeling of tranquility, and must be a wildlife haven for the birds. It is not a good idea to have large trees in a small garden. I knew someone who had that. It became impossible to see out of his windows. He had to switch lights on in his apartment in the middle of the day! I wouldn't like it that way.
I have tried to be very careful about what I chose to plant. A giant tree would just take over and be intimidating. I did have to take out a Russian Olive. It was supposed to stay small, but it had such aggressive growth I had no choice, but to remove it.

I have planted many things since then to make up for the loss. The Russian Olive was just trying to grow. Unfortunately it was blocking a back door and it made the yard dark and sinister, instead of cool, calm and peaceful.
It really matters what you plant. I have been thinking all summer about what to plant and Japanese Maples seemed like the best choice.

I am sure the birds will grow to love them.
Catherine

Lovely gardens ladies!! I just imagine a slow stroll with my favorite beverage in hand.
I think this is the best blood pressure medicine in the world.
"Food for the soul"
You both have created a splendid work of art!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Thank-you. Living in the city, I need to create my own nature space. Just looking out the window and seeing the trees and other growing things makes me feel peaceful. It reminds me that the country does exist and it gives a space for the city animals to rest with nature.
Catherine