The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The development of colour vision in animals
Colour vision in animals is a topic that people have long wondered about. Too often we have believed that animals, especially dogs have simple black and white vision. An article that I found makes the point that the world is full of colours and those colours are mostly not there for our benefit. Animals have very complex vision and colour plays an important role. How that colour vision developed is a fascinating area of study. We don't have all the answers, but we are definitely learning.

https://www.wired.com/story/evolution-color-vision/

I know insects have amazing colour vision. They can see things that we don't. Flowers that appear the same to us can look very different to a bee.
Now I wonder about reptiles.
Chameleons signal to each other through colour. A female will show certain colours when she is ready to breed. A male won't approach unless he see those colours. When she is pregnant she will look different and the male will leave her.

Snakes have amazing colours. They must see them or what would be the point. Do they allow snakes of the same species to find each other when they need to breed.  Snakes also rely on scent, but their colours are so incredible that they must serve a purpose.

I wonder if colour and colour vision evolved together?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
The development of colour vision in animals - by Catherine - 08-08-2017, 02:12 PM