Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The development of colour vision in animals
You bring up some interesting points. Colour in the animals' lives and on their bodies isn't there just for us to observe! It serves a purpose for them!
I have heard it said that dogs see better towards the blue end of the spectrum, and red/pink/orange shades seem grey-ish to them. But it's said that dogs see grass not green as we do, but a blue-ish shade.

I can't be sure if that is so, or not. The conclusions might be arrived at by examining colour-receptive features in the dog's eye structure. But the studies may have only been done in necropsy, and may not have been done on a large number of dogs. I don't know. Perhaps they chose colour blind dogs! Or selective breeding could affect colour vision for all we know. It can dramatically affect other aspects of a dog's physical structure and health.

My Jack Russell, Toby had an orange ball. My husband liked to eat a lot of fruit in the evening, and had a green apple, a red apple, a small grapefruit and an orange on the sofa next to him. These pieces of fruit were al about the same size, and coincidentally the same size as Toby's ball. Toby lost his ball, and started looking for it. After checking the floor, he jumped on the sofa, and went straight to the orange to sniff at that. Not the red apple, not the yellow grapefruit. The orange.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The development of colour vision in animals - by Tobi - 08-15-2017, 06:42 AM