Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuddly cute rats!
Today I went to my wood pile to get logs to chop.
I grabbed a couple of logs, then heard a squeak. There was a small brown rat in the wood pile! I looked to make sure I hadn't hurt it, I didn't seem to have done, as it moved okay. Then it stared up at me, and didn't run away. I spoke to it gently, saying it had to go, and I hoped I hadn't hurt it because I certainly wouldn't mean to.

The rat squeaked again and looked as if it was having some sort of panic attack, because its breathing became very fast and shallow! I had a feeling it was calling for help. No help came. Then it moved to a gap in the log pile and tried to wriggle in, but it was a tight fit. I kept speaking kindly and gently, but the rat seemed scared.
There was nothing I could do. I daren't move the wood pile. That would be like playing 'spillikins'. I was aware that one falling log could crush the little thing. It was only 4-5" long!

I decided to leave it for a while.
A couple of hours later I went back, sure it would have found its way out.....but no. I spoke to it again, and heard some rustling, and then some squeaking. Then it went silent. I think it was calling for help again, which never came (again)

On the other side of the wood shed near the stream, I put a bit of brown bread and a small boiled potato left over from last night. I'm hoping the scent of the food will encourage the rat to come out. Maybe if it's stuck, it will get hungry as time goes by, then thinner, so it can slip out of the tightly-packed wood pile....

I felt nothing but kindness for the little creature. I hope it will be ok.

Messages In This Thread
Cuddly cute rats! - by Tobi - 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Catherine - 03-28-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Tobi - 03-28-2014, 09:25 PM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Knight of Albion - 03-29-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Catherine - 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Cibach - 03-29-2014, 07:54 PM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Catherine - 03-30-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Tobi - 04-01-2014, 04:09 AM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Catherine - 04-01-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Tobi - 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: Cuddly cute rats! - by Catherine - 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM