The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Dog at a Time
Okay I am now doing a plug for Pen Farthing, and his book "One Dog at a Time -Saving the Strays of Helmand (Afghanistan)".

Pen Farthing was a sergeant in the Royal Marines, deployed to Helmand Afghanistan. While engaging with the Taliban, and living in a pretty rudimentary military compound near Now Zad, he met and supported local stray dogs, and ended up with 5 adult dogs -one an ex-fighting dog (who became his best mate)-and 14 puppies all in a 'run' inside the compound. At least they were safer than they would be outside.

Then he knew he couldn't abandon them. The book gives a nitty-gritty account of life in the camp -and not without humour. It also explores the complexities and dramas of getting a dog to the safety of a rescue centre near Kabul.....and from there, hopefully to the UK....

On Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/One-Dog-Time-Savin...+at+a+time
where it appears it is only available in hardcover or paperback.

But on Amazon UK it is available also on Kindle (plus other options)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Dog-Time-Sav...+at+a+time

I loved this book and gave it 5 stars. It is dotted with grammatical errors in narrative (not dialogue), even though it is a Random House publication! (Don't RH employ editors/proofreaders?) All that doesn't matter one bit. I was much too moved to nit-pick it in the end.

Pen Farthing's experiences inspired him to help others in a similar position, and found the charity "Nowzad Dogs" which gives assistance to soldiers who have befriended Afghan strays, and wish to get them out of the country. Well, mostly dogs, but some cats too.

Messages In This Thread
One Dog at a Time - by Tobi - 12-01-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: One Dog at a Time - by Catherine - 12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: One Dog at a Time - by LPC - 12-01-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: One Dog at a Time - by LPC - 12-01-2014, 08:50 PM
RE: One Dog at a Time - by Tobi - 12-01-2014, 09:36 PM
RE: One Dog at a Time - by Catherine - 12-02-2014, 10:48 AM