Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keeping children safe with dogs
Quote:I could hug Misty. I could touch her face, and do most anything and she never showed any stress about it, only pleasure. But if a stranger or a young person did those same things, I know she would not have tolerated it. She was incredibly patient and well-behaved, but might have snapped if pushed too far for too long, but would have snapped at the air in front of them first. But even that would have been seen as 'aggression' by many. When all it was -was language.

I'm with Misty. I don't like strangers touching my face or getting too close.
Why do we assume that dogs have no boundaries. We expect them to put up with things we wouldn't want to endure.
You are right, dogs do communicate their distress and displeasure. Most people don't seem to be able to "hear" them.

When I was eight, we had an old dog and his back legs were sore, probably arthritis. I knew that, but I touched him where it hurt and he grabbed my hand in his teeth. I stopped touching him and he didn't break the skin. I understood that I hurt him by my touch and I was sorry that I hurt him. I didn't mention it to anyone in the family so no one reacted.
Winston wasn't being aggressive, it just hurt and he needed me to stop touching him. I think I was more sensitive to animals needs after that.
You are the first person I have ever told this to.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Keeping children safe with dogs - by Tobi - 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM
RE: Keeping children safe with dogs - by LPC - 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM
RE: Keeping children safe with dogs - by Libby - 05-26-2015, 05:17 AM
RE: Keeping children safe with dogs - by Tobi - 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
RE: Keeping children safe with dogs - by Catherine - 05-28-2015, 02:39 PM