Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop Trump's Attack on Animal Welfare and Transparency
Politics is a minefield. However, I do not believe that one person should have so much power, whether democrat or republican. We are fortunate that in the UK (of which I am a citizen), there is no president. Any changes in the law, or even changes in regulations, have to go before Parliament for debate. That means that lots of heads get to think about an issue, not just one head. We have the Queen, but she is a figurehead of the state and remains above politics (thank goodness!) Lots of countries have presidents with political power, but for me that is a mistake. I always think of the famous saying of Lord Acton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

So instead of saying, "This president is 100% bad" or "This president is 100% good", it is better to say, "Why do you need one man to have power over others? Why not share the responsibility?"

I do not think that this particular issue (withdrawal of public access to animal welfare reports) is actually political at all. It would appear that the animal experimenters issued law suits against the USDA years before Trump even came on the scene and the USDA has given in under legal threats. This site gives the full background to the story:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/u...it-threats

Of course the public should have full access to inspections of animal experimentation sites, but I think it is a mistake (factually) to politicise this particular issue. It is a long-running battle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stop Trump's Attack on Animal Welfare and Transparency - by LPC - 02-09-2017, 09:01 PM