Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets grieve too
I'm glad the lady speaks honestly to her dog, so Zoe knows what to expect. It is no good lying to a dog. They do understand our words and our demeanour. In fact they understand many words and phrases we use.
I never left Misty for more than 3-4 hours -ever. If I was leaving only for 1/2 hour I woul let her know precisely that. And when I had to go to work for 4 hours I would let her know that as well.

And yes, animals do grieve. Misty grieved the passing of our friend Peter, whom she was extremely fond of. He passed in early Spring 2011. Reminders of him did her no good and made her very sad. I carefully remembered not to say his name. He gave me his car. She'd be fine until she got in the car, then she would act sad.
I cleaned the interior top to bottom using a slightly perfumed cleaning spray (yuck!) Then I left the doors open for an hour or so. Next time she got in the car she was fine! The scent of him upset her. She knew that he'd gone but didn't know how or where.

Misty's canine friend, Jet grieved markedly after she passed. I did my very best for him, but he was an old dog by that time and he never completely bounced back. He was a different dog the day before she left, to the way he was three days afterwards. He hardly moved from his spot outside the farm for going on three weeks.
I used to visit him every day to cheer him up a little; to show him I was still there, our routines could stay the same, etc. I was feeling pretty awful myself but used to do my best to raise up for him. But he came out of that after 3 weeks or so. However he was never completely the same again and passed 18 months later. He seemed to get a form of dementia after she left.

Messages In This Thread
Pets grieve too - by Catherine - 03-16-2017, 05:00 PM
RE: Pets grieve too - by Tobi - 03-17-2017, 03:57 AM
RE: Pets grieve too - by LPC - 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM
RE: Pets grieve too - by Tobi - 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: Pets grieve too - by LPC - 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: Pets grieve too - by Catherine - 03-17-2017, 02:19 PM
RE: Pets grieve too - by Tobi - 03-18-2017, 04:38 AM
RE: Pets grieve too - by LPC - 03-18-2017, 06:43 AM
RE: Pets grieve too - by Catherine - 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM