The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think Koori has been shot
Koori and the little one lived a happy life. Every morning they kept watch from the back field, to see when I was around. As soon as they saw me getting ready in the bathroom, they would take up their positions on the electricity pole; Koori-Baby squawking and staring at his Mama/Dad (?) Nag nag nag....
 I don't think Koori Baby quite put two and two together about where the sandwich was coming from, but he took his cue from his parent. Koori would fly down into my garden, get the treasure and fly out again.

Yesterday morning, their routine was just the same. While my coffee was brewing, I put their fish paste sandwich at the bottom of my garden, and saw Koori come down, take it, and his little one join him in the field to eat it.
It's been the same every morning. The little one is able to hunt his own food, but still hangs around Koori, making a heck of a din, and with his mouth open. Koori relents and feeds him. All has been well.

But yesterday morning, just as they were eating, I heard the crack of a shotgun to the right of my cottage, at close range. They immediately left the food and flew up, in two different directions. I kept watch but never saw the shooter.
About ten minutes later I heard gunshot again, this time from the left, and still close by.
Everything fell quiet. Then I heard Koori calling again and again from the Oak tree.  I waited to see what would happen; glad that Koori hadn't been shot.
There were no more shots.

A little while later I saw them both together again. I was relieved. I knew they would find the food they'd had to abandon in the field.

I went out, and came back a couple of hours or more later. I didn't really notice the two Crows after that. But I was very busy.

This morning about 11, when I was coming back from Sally's I saw something black lying in the field. It was a single dead crow.  I don't know if it's Koori or not. I recognise his/her voice but not close-up appearance. But I could tell it was an adult bird not a youngster.
All day long there has been no sign of Koori and the young one. I called and called on and off all day -but no sign of them. That is not normal. The little sandwich had not been taken. It was covered with ants.
The back field and the Orchard was their area. They never went far, making a living mainly in the field. There has not been one single Crow in that back field all day, and I have not heard the baby's voice (which is unmistakable.). Fortunately the young one is advanced enough to be just able to survive alone. But it never learned to come down for the food, though Koori tried to show it how to.

Maybe the shooter came back when I was out yesterday. Or....perhaps it was a shot which woke me up so suddenly at 5.40 this morning.

I didn't bury the Crow's body. I left it for scavengers and so other Crows would see it.
If it was Koori, she/he was my friend. Lost to a morning's sport for someone....

Messages In This Thread
I think Koori has been shot - by Tobi - 08-14-2017, 08:50 AM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Catherine - 08-14-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by LPC - 08-14-2017, 08:19 PM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Tobi - 08-15-2017, 03:02 AM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Catherine - 08-15-2017, 10:32 AM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by LPC - 08-15-2017, 08:50 PM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Tobi - 08-16-2017, 01:57 AM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by LPC - 08-16-2017, 03:18 AM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Catherine - 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Tobi - 08-17-2017, 03:45 AM
RE: I think Koori has been shot - by Catherine - 08-17-2017, 04:01 PM