The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The burden of caring for sick pets
As much as we love them and would do anything for them, a seriously ill or dying pet is as much of an emotional burden as caring for a person. There is the added issue of finances. How far would a person go financially. How far should they go? And when the end comes how do you make the hard choices.

Mary Beth Spitznagel, a clinical neuropsychologist and associate professor at Kent State University when faced with her own dog's medical crisis, she studied the issue and published it in  the Veterinary Record. 

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/ca...l-toll.htm

I think it is important to talk about this issue. If you understand what you would want to do it will be easier to make the choices when the time comes. I have known people to cash out their pension money to try and save a dog that clearly had no more time left. I wouldn't do that because that will create hardship for the rest of my life. I don't think care givers of humans or animals should give up their own lives, present and future to care for a loved one. 

I am not saying you shouldn't give a lot. I have put a lot into caring for an animal that was dying. I wouldn't quit my job and stay home though. I still have to be able to live after the pet has gone. 
It is hard to find a balance.  Care givers have to look after themselves too or they could burn out as care givers. It would be sad to give up everything to care for a beloved pet and end up resenting the pet before the end. 
It is important to find balance and it is important to know when it is time and all the care in the world will not give the pet more life.  It is always sad and it is hard to say goodbye, but sometimes that is the only thing left to do for your pet.
It never gets easier no matter how well prepared you are, but sometimes it is the only loving thing left to do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
The burden of caring for sick pets - by Catherine - 09-29-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: The burden of caring for sick pets - by Tobi - 10-03-2017, 03:51 AM