Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The burden of caring for sick pets
Quote:What is of vital importance is "quality of life". Even if the animal is geriatric or disabled in some way they can sometimes still have decent quality of life, even if reduced in some areas. But it's a fine line, and we are responsible for their happiness and welfare.
This is the point. When does an animal cross the line. When is a quality life actually a burden to an animal. There are no actual rules that you can follow that will give you the answer. Each situation must be judged as it happens. I have made decisions to let pets go and I have made decisions to keep them going. I have never gone for extreme medical measures just to keep a pet going a little longer. It is not always kind to prolong life. But I have never just given up and had a pet killed. I have advised other people to let their pets go when clearly it was time. Sometimes you need a friend to tell you, because you are too close to see how the animal is doing. 

I have put a lot of time into nursing an animal that was dying, but I wouldn't quit my job. I might take a day or two off or get a pet sitter to come in. I wouldn't want to burn myself out or destroy how I live because I have other pets and I need to have life go on for them.

Maybe there is a difference when you have other pets. I have a responsibility to care for them too. 

This is a complicated issue and I am sure we haven't looked at every angle of it yet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
The burden of caring for sick pets - by Catherine - 09-29-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: The burden of caring for sick pets - by Tobi - 10-03-2017, 03:51 AM
RE: The burden of caring for sick pets - by Catherine - 10-03-2017, 04:03 PM