Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are dogs smarter than cats?
I have heard that cats are technically supposed to be smarter than dogs....owing to something in their brains....I have forgotten what! Yes it might be neurons or something.

And yet from my own experience, dogs have a better time understanding what we say to them. They do seem to "speak English" (or whatever language they grow up with.) Mostly cats don't seem to have the same interest in communicating via words.

Both dogs and cats generally have a very devotional aspect to them, but I've noticed it more strongly in dogs. I think it's just that cats are more intrinsically "wild" at heart, whereas dogs are so integrated into family life and fit in with family routines very well. But it's hard to generalise, as all cats and dogs are not the same.

I never saw either species do anything I would call real work! lol! Even with cats who spend time outside, they mostly laze about in warm places until it's time for food again! Dogs really want to play frisbee or have sticks thrown for them. They think they are on holiday. But of course search and rescue dogs and service dogs really do work hard.

Yet what fantastic work our ordinary cats and dogs actually do. They are our faithful companions, standing by us through thick and thin, hardly ever losing patience with us, always being happy to see us, keeping our hearts in the right place and  our legs warm in bed. Many humans couldn't do that even if you paid them a yearly retainer of 100,000!

Messages In This Thread
Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Catherine - 11-30-2017, 05:29 PM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by LPC - 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Tobi - 12-01-2017, 03:19 AM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by LPC - 12-01-2017, 05:26 AM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Catherine - 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Tobi - 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Catherine - 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM