Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raw meat diet can be dangerous for your pets.
You are both right on. We have to feed our pets what they need. Yeast would not be natural for a dog and fruits, veggies and grains would not be natural for a cat. However since our pets are not killing and eating their own fresh raw meat it seems an unnecessary risk to feed raw. Cats and dogs seem quite happy to eat their food cooked.

The parasite risk is very real. That is why we cook our own food. You know I feed snakes and they need mice and they have to be raw. I use frozen, defrosted mice because it is safer for the snakes. I would never use a wild caught mouse. It is too dangerous.
You wouldn't stop and pick up road kill for you dog or cat. I hope no one would do that. 

Handling raw meat is tricky. It is one thing to cook it and clean up and quite another to be serving it raw. Putting it in a dish on the floor invites flies and in the hot weather there would be maggots.

I am sure Forgy loves his stew and you can tailor it to his special needs. I am glad his skin issues have cleared up.
There are a number of brands of dog food here that produce special diets without grains or certain meats. It is being recognized that dogs get skin irritations from foods.

Quote:(By the way, offal -which humans shun nowadays, but which they used to eat happily -is perfectly alright for cats and dogs. That includes, liver, heart, kidneys, and especially things like tripe etc.)
These things are not shunned any more. They are usually quite expensive. 

I have special tools and dishes for my reptiles and I don't wash them with my own dishes or even in the same sink.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Raw meat diet can be dangerous for your pets. - by Catherine - 01-15-2018, 07:59 AM