The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seniors and pets: the pros and cons
This is a relevant issue when you think that many countries have aging populations. Pets are good for seniors. They are especially good for seniors living alone. They are beneficial for people with a form of cognitive impairment. The pets provides a much needed emotional connection. 
However, pets are a cause of falls for seniors. Many frail seniors have trouble caring for themselves. Caring for a pet is more than they can do. There are hygiene issues when a person can't change a litter box or walk a dog.

All of these statements are true. I am not sure the article examines all the options well.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...sUPLaAxqvQ

Pets are good for seniors! I do home care with some pretty frail people. They often have pets. The pee pads worked for a little dog I dealt with. I put down several at once and they do come scented. I change litter pans and clean up. I have even bathed a dog now and then.
It would be easy for a family member to come and help. They could take the pet to the vet and bring the needed food. 
We kept a lovely lady with Alzheimer's in her home with her pets for some time. A neighbour was paid a bit to come in daily and feed the cats and dog. I came in regularly and cleaned up any mess. 

Pets get blamed for falls, but more likely it is clutter in the home that has caused the fall. People have scatter rugs  and electrical cords and many things that are tipping hazards.  It would be better to clean up and get in practice walking carefully and watching out for the pet.

I think for every problem there is a solution and the benefits of pets far outweigh the difficulties.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by Catherine - 02-12-2018, 04:09 PM
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by LPC - 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by Tobi - 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by Tobi - 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM