Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seniors and pets: the pros and cons
I agree. I hate to think of pets going through trauma because they have lost their person. It can happen. It would be best to have a commitment from someone to take the pet if anything happens. It isn't just death. People can end up in nursing homes and hospitals.

I took a couple of guinea pigs because the owner died. The husband needed to move and he took his rabbits with him. I took his wife's guinea pigs. We didn't have a previous arrangement, but I would never have turned him down.
Various sons, daughters, nieces and nephews have taken my clients pets when they had to be hospitalized. 

Usually someone takes the pet. I would think everyone would feel better if they knew who was going to do it. The person could build a bond with the pet ahead of time. They could even do trial visits to the future home. If the senior became to frail then the pet could live in the new home and do visits back. It has been done and it worked well enough.  

A senior who wants a pet and is afraid they might not outlive it could also become a foster parent for a rescue group. That way the pet would only be there temporarily before moving to a permanent home. It might not be as emotionally satisfying as having one's own pet, but it would be helping an animal in need.

There are solutions to every problem of pet ownership for people who are older. They do require working with other people to make sure all needs are met.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by LPC - 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by Tobi - 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by Tobi - 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM
RE: Seniors and pets: the pros and cons - by Catherine - 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM