The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barbara Streisand had her dog cloned
In 2017 Barbara Streisand lost her beloved 14 year old dog Samantha. I feel for her loss. 
Before the dog died she had tissue samples taken and had her dog cloned. Her new dogs Miss Scarlett and Miss Violet are c lones of Samantha.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/barbra...202711047/

There are lots of issues here, the most obvious being the fact that neither dog acts like her dead pet. They may be genetically the same, but they are not the same dog. They have different personalities.

She could have used the money in so many better ways. She could have donated to a shelter in Samantha's name. 
She could have looked for a new dog, preferably at a shelter and fallen in love with it for its own sake. They could have started a new journey together. That would have honoured Samantha more than trying to replace her with a look a like.

Even if they are sweet dogs will she come to resent the fact that after all that money she doesn't have her dog back.

I found an interesting reflective article that looks at our relationship with death. Death is a part of the life experience and our pets were  always going to leave us. We grieve and go on. By trying to cheat death by cloning her dog, Barbara Streisand has
missed an important part of our experience of having a pet.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...oning-pets

Losing a pet is part of having a pet. It is the hard part, but it can be beautiful too. Being there and letting a pet leave us in peace is part of how much we loved and were close to our pet.

I have never considered cloning a pet, not just because I don't have the money. I have had the children of my pets and that is so different. I have Earl's son, Sedona. He looks so much like his father and is like him in many ways. So I have the joy of having Sedona who is a beautiful snake in his own right. I also have a happy reminder of Earl. Earl is gone. A clone wouldn't be Earl. His son is a reminder in a healthy happy way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Barbara Streisand had her dog cloned - by Catherine - 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM