Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reptilian Cognition
I agree that reptiles are more intelligent than we realize. I believe they can and do learn a great many things.

Members of the monitor family are especially intelligent and capable of learning. Zoos are using the ability to learn when dealing with Komodo Dragons so they can draw blood without needing sedation or restraint. Even the smaller members of the family like the Savannah Monitors are an intelligent creature. I have met a few monitors like the peach throated who can become very tame and learn to work with a handler.

I have an older Colombian Black and White Tegu. Barrie is clever in his own way, but he is not monitor clever. Still I have to be aware of his intelligence when I deal with him. I can sometimes free roam him in my place. 
I do know an iguana that does free roam at a reptile centre. There is a lot of intelligence there. Iris makes good use of her environment. When she wants to be fed, she comes and asks for food. She is like having a dog around. 

The problem is, how do we measure reptile intelligence. 

I would say my corn snakes are  more intelligent than my ball pythons. They certainly exhibit more curiosity about their environment.  They also learn things. I might know their personalities, but they have also learned how I do things.
I have had an injured snake make a point of attracting my attention. He knew I would help him. That requires so level if intelligence.

If everyone who actually works with reptiles makes a point of observing them and assessing them we may work out some way to understand their intelligence. I think it is very different from ours. Their whole biological make up is very different. Our brains have evolved differently. I think we will make more progress in understanding reptile intelligence when we stop comparing it to human intelligence or even mammalian intelligence. I am hoping this is an area that gets studied much more intensely.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Reptilian Cognition - by Cat001 - 06-26-2018, 06:18 AM
RE: Reptilian Cognition - by Catherine - 06-26-2018, 03:50 PM