The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane
The RSPCA is against current methods of killing Cane Toads because they cause undue pain and suffering. Currently people pour Dettol on them or hit them with golf clubs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...clubs.html

There is no question that current methods are cruel. Yes Australia needs to do something about the Cane Toads. However cruelty towards them is not the answer. The one suggestion of giving guns to children to shoot them does not seem too good either, but for a whole lot of reasons.

The Cane Toads are part of wide spread struggle with invasive species all around the world. We introduced them and now they are a problem. How do we get rid of them. We were not thinking when we released various species around the world. Now that they are a problem, I think it matters how we correct the problem. I don't think wide spread cruel eradications speak well for our humanity. What ever solutions we find, they must be acceptable in an ordinary sense. If the method would be considered cruel in a different situation, then the method is wrong. Finding ways to stop the eggs from hatching or the toads from breeding will not only be kinder, they will probably be more effective. 

I think we need a global strategy on invasive species and how to deal with them. I just hope we have learned our lesson about not releasing things in places they don't belong.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane - by Catherine - 02-16-2019, 04:35 PM