Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane
Welcome to the forum, Wrax.  It is interesting to hear from someone who in in the area troubled by cane  toads. 
They are a serious problem and they are doing a lot of harm. There introduction was a mistake and they didn't do what they were meant to do.

That being said I do agree with LPC that  "We humans caused this tragic situation. It is now a moral imperative to find a humane solution to this environmental disaster."

Even if he is joking, suggesting giving guns to children is not a good idea. Suggesting that children kill toads is not a good idea for the sake of the children.
Using inhumane methods to kill toads is also not a good idea. Most people are not going to be able to kill a cane toad quickly by hitting it with a golf club. Poison is usually a slow cruel way to kill things. I don't think it does any of us good to be involved in the inhumane killing of an animal even if it is a pest. Also the cane toads didn't ask to come to Australia and none of this is their fault.

If freezing is humane and they intend to kill the cane toads then it should at least be done by freezing then.

However if it is just random people killing toads here and there, then the numbers will stay the same and they will be killing cane toads indefinitely. If the cane toads need to be removed then there needs to be a plan that reduces their numbers quickly all over. Finding a way to limit their fertility is still the best. Maybe collecting the tadpoles would work. Can they collect the eggs.  Can they stop the eggs from hatching. This is the direction things need to go if the cane toads are to be reduced or even removed from the environment. It would be better to plan and carry through a plan. The plan needs to be humane and it also needs to be efficient. 

I don't know what the answer is for the cane toads or any of the other introduced species around the world. We are going to need a global policy on how to deal with introduced species. It is a global problem. Too many countries have species they need to deal with and there is no clear idea on how to do it humanely. I am not sure every country feels the need to be humane. 
However we caused the problem so we have an obligation to make it right.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane - by Catherine - 02-18-2019, 04:42 PM