Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Murder of crows/the murder of crows
When we had sheep for many years, we had lambs often born in the field and never had one case of a crow attack - despite the fact that there are loads of crows where we live. In any case, a ewe would normally defend her lambs, so the argument that crows attack lambs is IMHO very weak indeed. Yes, foxes occasionally attack an undefended newly born lamb - and crows get the blame, because they are so visible in fields and are known to scavenge. The truth is, the sort of scavenging which crows do is actually good, such as eating afterbirth remains, carrion, etc. Chickens are occasionally targets, but this can be solved by "roofing" an area with netting.

The issue has been inflamed by some farmers and extreme right-wing press (e.g. the "Daily Mail"). The man at the centre of the dispute, a conservationist called Chris Packham, has received death threats against himself and his family. Why? My guess would be that this is about money. Some farmers make big money by raising grouse or other birds, then inviting people to pay for a shoot. They want the land for their "chosen" birds or other lifestock only.

Personally, I think that crows exercise a good role in the balance of nature and have just the same right to exist as we have. I'm sure that Tobi will have a lot to contribute to this discussion when she sees this thread.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Murder of crows/the murder of crows - by LPC - 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM