Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race to free entangled Humpback Whales
Quote:Money before caring - the usual story, sadly. Thank goodness there are some caring people who are willing to do their best to rectify the harm done.
There are some amazing people out there who risk themselves to try and free entangled whales.
I think they are able to use drones now to get close and assess the whales. It is a safer way of looking at what needs doing before actually approaching a whale.

I wish there was a way to track down the fishing gear before it entangles animals. 
You are right that they just discard damaged gear. It is cheaper than repairing or disposing of it. They are careful to have no markers on any of the gear so it can't be traced back to the owner. Maybe fishing crews should have to mark their gear so it can be traced if it is discarded. I am sure there are people out there who would love to collect the discarded gear and return it to its rightful owner. There needs to be some way to make people take responsibility for their fishing gear.

Of course we can't get people to take responsibility for their ordinary garbage. People litter all the time. Now that we are all wearing masks, people are discarding those on the streets all over the city. It is a terrible mess. People are not well behaved on land or sea.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Race to free entangled Humpback Whales - by Catherine - 08-02-2020, 03:40 PM