Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs
I think that you both have a point. I read years ago about euthanisation of healthy animals being widespread in some PETA animal refuges. The organisation has a case to answer and certainly should put its own house in order. I personally only support "no kill" refuges.

But on this particular issue, I would agree with you have written, Catherine. Countless times, I have responded to articles, posts on social media, etc. when people write about some violent assault by humans, "They are animals!" Animals do not violently attack others to steal money, personal possessions, or just for pleasure. So it is wrong to compare violent aggressive humans to animals. Animals, in general, only kill for food. (Cats sometimes "play" with mice, but that is an exception to the rule).

I love dogs. I know that you do, Catherine, and especially Libby. So why do some people say to someone else, "You're a dog!" in an abusive way? (BTW, I seem to remember something about Trump using "dog" or "dogs" as a term of abuse). I find it highly offensive. When we use an animal word as a term of abuse, the animals themselves are not hurt, as they do not understand. But we, as a species, show our contempt for another species by using its name as a term of abuse. We degrade ourselves.

Messages In This Thread
RE: PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs - by LPC - 02-01-2021, 09:16 PM