The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs of Peace -land mine detection dogs in Afghanistan
An almost 50 minute 'Our World' documentary, showing the training and vital work of these dogs, who are trained to sniff out TNT.

http://youtu.be/xohGv6YRsHo

I found this video very moving, as Afghanis who had never encountered dogs before, are working with them as their handlers, and forming deep bonds and trust. The local people also view them as heroes, as the land mines prevent anyone living a normal life.
This is creating a situation in which dogs are no longer feared by many, and are welcomed instead.

Although it is dangerous work, all the dogs love what they are doing and associate their work with play. They all appear to be having a ball!

If carefully managed by the handler, and trained to strict obedience (using reward system) the dangers are overcome...but the safety of the dog depends on total obedience. Those who do not make the grade are not sent out on land mine missions until they are ready.

(One of my very favourite bits was the little pup in early training -bless him!)

The video is narrated by Heather Mills McCartney.

Messages In This Thread
Dogs of Peace -land mine detection dogs in Afghanistan - by Tobi - 07-11-2014, 05:09 AM