The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed
Very sad news. Two horses have been killed during this year's Melbourne Cup. The favourite, Admire Rakti, was carrying record-breaking heavy weights and died (apparently from heart stress - results of tests awaited). The other, Araldo, broke a rear leg and was euthanised.

Do we really have the right to put horses through this carnage, not just at Melbourne but all over the world? Just so people can watch and put on bets? Humans can run, too. Why not put bets on that?

Regarding Araldo, the horse euthanised, most of the press has been meekly accepting the argument - always trotted out when horses are injured - that the horse was in pain and had to be put down. Yet humans who break their legs aren't put down, nor are most domestic pets; only horses are not given the chance of surgery and recovery.

Why? I did some research. The reasons are purely financial. If the horse is put down quickly, the owners can claim the value of the horse back from insurance. If the horse is treated and passed on to a horse charity to live out its life, the owner gets nothing. That is the explanation. I always wondered why - and now I know. Money talks. Compassion doesn't.

Messages In This Thread
Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by LPC - 11-04-2014, 11:57 PM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by platy - 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by LPC - 11-06-2014, 04:51 AM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by Tobi - 11-08-2014, 07:40 AM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by platy - 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
RE: Melbourne Cup: Two horses killed - by platy - 11-08-2014, 06:52 PM