Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gadhimai
I quite agree. Very well put. Regarding Judaism, my understanding is that most branches of Judaism (especially reformed and liberal, and moderate othodox) would take the same view as the rabbi you mention. There are some extreme orthodox Jews, however, who still dream of restoring their temple for sacrifice. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_Institute and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Moun...l_Movement

Let us hope that such primitive concepts in various religions will disappear and that compassion will prevail.
Interesting, I will have to read the articles tonight, but it is clear that it is the fundamentalist groups that still cling to things like animal sacrifice. They are unable to go beyond narrow understandings of their religion. They can't distinguish between what matters and what is an external. A great many things get "picked up" by any given religion in any given culture. Those things are fine as long as they are not acts of cruelty or some form of abuse. They should be rejected if they are harmful or dangerous. Any form of animal abuse should be rejected. The same goes for things that abuse women and children.

It is time for religion to grow up.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I caught up on my reading. Thank-you for posting the articles. I had no idea that things had moved so far in that direction. I find it disturbing that they want to go back to minute details from 2000 years ago and worse, that they would even contemplate animal sacrifice.

Surely no one in this day and age could see God as wanting such cruel sacrifices.
There are pockets of darkness in human nature all over the world. I sincerely hope that it is the light that is getting brighter and not the dark getting darker.
Catherine

As I just said in my other post on the Gadhimai diary thread, I really do believe that this will be the last time this event ever happens. The public awareness and outcry surrounding this issue is not something that the Nepalese Government will be able to recover from.

Here is an article with some of the ways the world has had a positive impact so far, and managed to at least reduce some of the suffering/number of victims at this festival: http://www.ciwf.org.uk/news/2014/12/the-...-gadhimai/

It is very important that people around the world continue to make their disgust and sadness of this festival known to the Nepalese Government, even now, as this is the only way that the world can stop this from taking place again.
CIWF have made another petition, calling on the Nepalese Government to make sure that the 2014 festival was the LAST in history. The link is at the bottom of the above article, but I'l put it here aswell:
The new petition: http://action.ciwf.org.uk/ea-action/acti...d=2d57aea1

(I didn't know whether or not I should make a new thread for this petition so it is more noticable, or add it to this thread).

"And ye harm none, do what ye will" ~ Wiccan Rede
Thank-you for finding the newest petition. I signed. I don't know if we need a new thread for this. I hope people find the new petition at the end of the main Gadhimai thread.

If you want to start a new thread for new petitions, go ahead. I guess the goal is to prevent any future animal slaughters.

If we prevent the Gadhimai slaughter, then we will have more success with other areas of animal cruelty.

I think that now that the public knows about the slaughter it will be seen in a clearer light. It has been shown to be cruel and barbaric.
Most people will not want to be part of that. It is a tremendous victory that so many animals were spared.
Never again.
Catherine

Just signed. Janay, I think that it would be a good idea to start a new petition thread. That way, it will get noticed not only by members but also by the many visitors to this site.
Good point about visitors. We could name a new thread Gadhimai update or Gadhimai now, something like that. The important thing is to keep up Gadhimai awareness.
Catherine

I signed. Thank you Janay. We must not let the pressure off but keep this up.

Yes why not post it on the Petitions section as well? That may give more publicity to this petition.
Good point. Does someone want to do it?
Catherine

I sent a PM to Janay, suggesting that she start a new thread in the petitions section, but as she does not come on to this forum that frequently, she hasn't seen it yet. Rather than wait, I have started a new thread - and given her credit for the post which made us aware of the new petition.

I have made it a sticky for now, so that it will stay near the top of the page.