Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Bird Count
I think it would be interesting for us to share what birds we have seen. Usually it is done as a bird count. Let us know what birds you have seen in 2015. Keep an eye on the totals and maybe we can do a forum bird count. It might be astounding how many birds we all see in a year.

As an act of administrative privilege I am letting you count any interesting bird you see between now and the first of the year.

I will start it off by saying I just saw a juvenile White Crowned Sparrow. I have never seen one before. As a juvenile the whole head was white, the black bars were not visible yet. I had to look it up.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Wow platy! You saw all those today?

I only saw:
Jackdaw
Starling
Robin
Jay
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Wagtail
Blackbird
Crow
Heron
Swan
(heard a Woodpecker but didn't see it....does that count??)
Well, it wasn't so much a 'call' as someone hammering high up in a tree! I could tell by the 'big-ness' of the sound that it wasn't a nuthatch, but more likely a Woodpecker. And I have seen a lot of them about.

But Woodpeckers do make quite a noise sometimes vocally.
It is bitter cold here today and very dark and I didn't see any birds!
I will have to catch up tomorrow. I will be near a wooded area with a river nearby so I should make a good start.

If it warms up on the weekend I will definitely see some birds. Winter in Canada is a bit of a birding challenge, but come migration season there will be birds passing through and that will be exciting.

Sigh, not even one bird.Undecided
Catherine

I did much better today. I saw a few pigeons( rock doves)(1), some Bonaparte gulls(2) and in the distance I saw what are probably cow birds(3). Early Jan on a cold day is bird challenged. I can't believe I haven't seen any sparrows yet.

Are the spotted doves like the little diamond doves?
Catherine

I came across a group of House Sparrows(4) hiding in the bushes. It was snowing heavy and the snow was creating a wall by catching in the branches and they were sheltered and warm. I will see more tomorrow as it is getting warmer again and will be raining.

So day three I have seen four kinds of birds.
Migration season will be better.

The Diamond Doves are much smaller. My little pair are so sweet. I would love to see them in the wild here, but it would be too cold for them.
Catherine

Scratch that. I just went outside for a bit, beautiful outside today, the last 2 days were 40 degrees and bad bushfires.

Jan 4
22. Black shouldered kite
23. Red-browed finch
24. Indian peafowl
25. Brown thornbill
26. White ibis

And it doesn't count as a bird, but I saw a fox just wandering down the back paddock. Was wondering what my dog was staring at so intently.
You have seen some beautiful birds so far. I am just waiting for a nice day. I am sure we have some birds still here for the winter.

Forty degrees is hot, but it would be nice to walk outside without a ton of clothing. Too bad about the brush fires. I fear for all the little creatures that are caught be them.
Catherine

In 40+ degrees you don't walk outside lol I don't anyway I just melt.
Yeah I think there's a few still burning out of control. Sadly a kennel-cattery was wiped out, only a few dogs were saved. It's pretty hard on the wildlife too. There were some lorikeets hanging out in the plum tree so I turned the hose on and they came under for a shower. You know the birds are really feeling the heat when they sit there with beaks open and not moving on human approach. And the summer has only just begun Sad
We are having the opposite weather. Birds here are hiding from the cold and desperate for food. I am glad you can give the Lorikeets water. They must be so grateful.

I heard about the kennel fire, so sad.Smiley19

I did see a flock of Canada Geese(5) today and some little starlings(6).
It is snowing and it will be cold tomorrow so I might not see too much.
Catherine