Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs that don't want to be left alone
People call this 'separation Anxiety' and try to train it out of their dogs as it is considered 'negative' behaviour. There are all sorts of hints and tips to stop separation anxiety.
And yet...I actually feel the dogs have a point. They are not meant to be alone. They are pack animals, and in the wild would not spend any time alone their whole life through. And they most likely wouldn't sleep alone either.
There is something so scary and unnatural about being left alone, from a dog's pint of view (not a human's)
What really concerns me are those humans who work full-time, and including travel time, may spend up to 10 hours a day away from home.
While most dogs DO have to put up with their human leaving them occasionally, they are definitely not meant to be alone for many hours each day.
But they are probably safer at home than in the car for a few reasons. And definitely safer than tied up outside a shop. But for those dogs who day in day out, for their whole lives, have to spend long daylight hours locked up inside...well that is just terrible.

I wish more places were dog-friendly.
My bank was great. They didn't mind letting Misty come in with me! But most shops and stores won't let a dog in. And how many work places are there where a dog can come along?

Maybe....you might be able to have a dog when you retire Catherine?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dogs that don't want to be left alone - by Tobi - 12-31-2014, 07:14 AM