Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What my dog does when I leave home
A tape of him talking sounds like quite a good idea. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that with a dog? They could play a tape low volume, in another room maybe -on a loop.

Especially when Misty first came to live with me, I hated leaving her alone. I had to work afternoons. I had no choice. She had settled and was relaxed at home by then, but I still wasn't quite sure how she was when I wasn't there. I had no surveillance equipment.
What I did was I observed what her favourite music was. I tried her with all sorts of different music. It ended up she preferred classical, like me! (but she liked different tunes that I hadn't been too keen on before!)
Anyway, I played that music when we were together, and we'd either share affection, or dance and play. I thought it might get her to associate those sounds with happiness.
So I left the classical station on whenever I had to leave. I sneaked a peek through the window once, and she seemed okay. Not looking terribly happy, but lying still on the couch, listening to the music. I waited a while then looked again, and there she was -just the same. It was as if she hated being left alone but could accept it all right.
I also made sure she went for a good long walk first, so she might nap. And we certainly went for one as soon as I got back!

Messages In This Thread
What my dog does when I leave home - by NKat - 12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
RE: What my dog does when I leave home - by Tobi - 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM
RE: What my dog does when I leave home - by Tobi - 01-03-2015, 09:51 AM
RE: What my dog does when I leave home - by Tobi - 01-04-2015, 03:59 AM
RE: What my dog does when I leave home - by Tobi - 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM
RE: What my dog does when I leave home - by Tobi - 01-05-2015, 01:22 PM